Tuesday, August 16, 2016

Prepared To Fall (Golden Oakes #2) by E.J. Shortall

Title: Prepared To Fall
Series: Golden Oakes #2
Author: E.J. Shortall
Genre: Adult, Contemporary Romance
Published: August 16, 2016


LOST. ALONE. GUILTY.

Adam is stuck in a thankless job with a father he loathes, and his secret childhood love is marrying somebody else. In a desperate attempt to forget it all he used a friend in a night of drunken passion.

FREE-SPIRITED. DETERMINED. DRIVEN.

Golden Oakes’s golden girl, Cassie’s life has been a torment of impossible parental expectations, lies and secrets. The only constant has been her close friendship with the Oakes brothers, and her kickboxing coach turned boyfriend, Jay.

Now training for the fight of her life, Cassie has to trust in Jay more than ever. But when Jay’s demanding ways begin to spill beyond the ring, Adam discovers his feelings for the spritely kick-boxer might be stronger than he could ever have imagined. Putting the past behind him, he vows to be there to protect, support and comfort Cassie.

Falling in love had been the last thing on their minds, but with life taking them along the unpredictable cliff edges of life, will they be there to catch each other if they fall?

***TRIGGER WARNING***
This book discusses issues of emotional, physical and sexual abuse and may be a trigger for some.
Contains adult content, scenes of explicit sexual nature and language some may consider crude or offensive. It is intended for readers aged 18+

Book two in the Golden Oakes series, but can be read as a standalone.









Prepared To Fall Excerpt © E.J. Shortall

Cassie POV
“So, what are we doing today? Cardio? Weights? ” He started walking towards the locker rooms to change. A small jolt of anticipation raced through me imagining him hot and sweaty, his arms bulging from the exertion of pushing weights. I bit down on my lip trailing my gaze down his muscular back to his firm, pert arse. God, he had a fine backside.
He stopped suddenly and turned causing me to stumble into him. His arms extended quickly to grasp my waist, preventing me from an embarrassing and ungainly arse plant on the floor.
“I’ve been thinking,” he said, his eyes raking over my body. “I might start swimming again to spice up my routine.”
Good God. The thought of his already athletic body showcased in Speedos with droplets of water dribbling down his lightly tanned chest had my pulse racing and my tongue begging to reach out for a taste.
It was difficult to decide which visual was better—Adam in swimwear, water droplets trickling down his body as he raked a hand through his wet hair. Adam in workout wear, sweaty with muscles bulging and veins popping, and his sounds of exertion… Oh, God. Or Adam in one of his hotter than sin suits, looking all powerful and dominant.
“Are you okay, Cass? You’ve gone very red.” A large palm pressed against my cheek and forehead. “You feel a bit clammy.” The hand moved to my neck, stroking over my sensitive pulse point. “And your pulse is racing.”
Suddenly, I was lifted off my feet, engulfed in strong arms as Adam carried me toward the private staff area.
Yanking myself from x-rated visions of Adam’s aquatic and other sexy as hell adventures, I shrieked, locking my hands behind his neck.
“What are you doing? I’m fine, you nut. Put me down.” I laughed, twisting my fingers into the overlong strands of his honey-blond hair.
“I thought you were ill,” he muttered, sliding me down his body, my feet still dangling off the floor. Our faces were now inches apart, intimately close.
His stormy blue eyes met my brown ones, the magnetism between them firm, unyielding. Under my touch his shoulders lifted and fell, his lungs sucking in a deep breath of... what? Anticipation, longing? A large knot of lust lodged itself within the walls of my throat, preventing me from being able to swallow. For the longest moment, we stood mute, our eyes and the deafening silence communicating a multitude of thoughts and questions.
He shifted his arms, the movement jostling my chest against his. A shiver of need misted over my bared flesh. Goosebumps erupted, and my nipples tightened beneath the white cotton of my sports bra.
God, what was I doing? I had to rein these feelings in. He was my friend, a close friend. Someone I’d come to trust and respect.
I untangled myself, my feet hitting the floor, and I took two steps back before I decided to tackle him right there in the GO lobby. “I’m fine,” I mumbled, forcing myself to appear unaffected and meet his gaze.
Blinking several times, Adam took a moment to come back from the haze of whatever weird cosmic connection it was we’d just shared. With a brief shake of his head and a swipe of fingers through his hair, he too took a step back, further breaking the invisible threads that had been pulling us together.


ONLY .99 cents!



E.J. lives in West London, England, with her partner, son and two cats. Yes, the cats are important. One provides a great source of comfort in those moments when all train of thought is lost and the words just won’t come. The other often halts the writing process with his incessant meowing. But they are her babies.

She has always enjoyed reading, but found it was mostly just a holiday extravagance. Then she discovered a certain worldwide best seller, and that was it, she was hooked.

Friends and family started telling her she should give writing a go and she persistently brushed off their ridiculous suggestions. Then one morning an idea for a story formed in her head. That idea became a paragraph, the paragraph became a chapter, and a chapter became the twenty-four you see in Silver Lining.

E.J. is on one amazing roller coaster at the moment, meeting new and wonderful people, discovering new music gems to integrate into her stories, and learning new skills. She is excited to see where this journey takes her.






Hosted By: 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment